Thursday, August 13, 2009

Memory Problems

Who Needs Elephants!!!!

So there has always been a debate on whether or not a photographer should use a larger amount of small memory cards or a fewer amount of large memory cards. Now, thank God that i've never had any problems with my memory cards. I have heard horror stories from other photographers about cards being damaged or lost. Here is my take on it. If you have a huge memory card, say 32MB and you shoot an entire event on it, and the card gets lost then you just made a very big booboo. Think about it, let's say you shot someone's wedding. How are you supposed to get all those images back. Even worse, wait untill the bride and her mother find out about this. I know a person to whom this happened to when she got married and the photographer lost all of the rolls of film. Multiple rolls of film. That is a huge volume compared to a little, itty-bitty memory card. There's also the possibility of the card getting damaged or erased and the data recovery software not being able to recover the photos. That is too much to risk in my opinion. About as bad as doing work with only one camera body. I will stick with my smaller memory cards and if ever something goes wrong with one of them, I should still have enough images on my other cards to keep the client happy. What are your opinions? Please comment and let me know.

No comments: